Measuring up…

I should have mentioned in one of my many postings on renovating the house, that I am not so much gifted with the ability to measure things.  Sure, I can ball-park it, but the whole 1/8’s thing stumps me.  For many years I refused to acknowledge any measurements that fell out of the whole or half number range.  Thankfully, I found a tape measure at my local Home Despotthat has all the measurement numbers written out in between the whole numbers.  It has opened up a whole new world of measuring to me.

Sadly, I am still blighted by the whole guess-timate disease.  When I posted the other day about my building of a message center in the kitchen, I guess-timated that it would be 2′ by 6′.  That really did seem like a good guess, to me.  Not so much to S.

S: Two feet by six feet?  Seriously?

Me:  Sure.  Three feet of cork board and three feet of chalk board paint.

S:  Six feet?  No way.

Me: Yes way.  We have a lot of messages to hang.  And my grocery shopping lists are legendary.

S then measured out six feet on the wall.  It looked more like 12 feet to me, but whatever.

S: That’s six feet.  We do not need six feet of messages.

Me: Are you sure that is six feet?  Anyway, we need a whole foot just for the take-out menus. (I did not want to give in)

S:  We have three take out menus.  And you don’t like to try new things so the odds of us even adding a fourth are pretty slim.

Me:  Well, we’ll need lots of space for phone messages…  (Not giving up yet)

S:  You don’t answer the phone.  There are no phone messages.

She totally had me there.  Then she measured out what she thought was a reasonable size for the message center, 2′ by 4′.    Seemed kind of small too me but I did give in.  Once I applied the first coat of chalk board paint, it started to seem quite large.  If she had let me get away with my guess-timate, I would have had a chalkboard fit for a classroom.

There is still some work to be done on the project.  I have to paint the frame today and get it up on the wall now that all the coats of chalk board paint are applied and dried.  They still have to “cure” for three days before we can start writing on it.  The sad thing is that I still have just a tad under a quartof chalk board paint.  Yeah, I pretty much can’t measure how much paint I need for projects either.  Which also explains why I have three un-opened cans of our living room/dining room paint left from that project.  I really thought we were going to need five gallons…

Advertisements

3 Responses

  1. […] of my many flaws is my inability to properly measure things, which is well documented here.  S, on the other hand is quite good at the measuring of all things.  She tends to tease me about […]

  2. […] it is, the message board that I wrote about here and here.  The first picture is of me doing the “cutting-in” of the chalkboard paint.  Then S […]

  3. […] Thankfully S did all of the measuring for me.  Well, I actually measured the widths in the closet, so if there is any screw up, I am going to take all of the blame.  She only measured the wood that I was cutting. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: